Thursday, November 11, 2010

#amazonfail controversy produces twitterstorm

Really, where do you start on a subject like this? I was shocked to hear yesterday that amazon.com has been selling a book called "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure - A Child-Lover's Code of Conduct".  REALLY??? This sickens me to even type out the title. As a mother of three boys, I feel extremely protective already, but when I read an excerpt from the book that includes what product works well as a condom on boys under the age of 13, I have to stifle my gag reflex. 


Obviously, I am not the only one who is disgusted, sickened, and offended by this filth and the fact that it's sold on amazon.com. So I also find out that I must have been hiding under a rock over the last few years, because this is not the only trash that amazon sells. You can also find titles such as "Understanding Loved Boys and Boylovers", "I Am the Market: How to Smuggle Cocaine by the Ton in Five Easy Lessons", "Grow Great Marijuana", and "Drunk Driving Defense: How to Beat the Rap". 


I am appalled at amazon's consistent bad decisions. This is how I know that I have been living under aforementioned rock because I had not heard about the other books, or I would have terminated my business with amazon and amazon's companies sooner. I find it interesting that they actually are acting against their own policies, in that they say they "prohibit content that includes offensive material" and "....that may lead to production of an illegal item or illegal activity", yet they have several books that are rock solid in that category. 


Amazon actually defends their decision to sell this pedophile how-to guide. They issued this statement... "Amazon believes it is censorship not to sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable," it reads. "Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions."  I find it ironic that they are all about the first amendment and free speech, until thousands of comments start to show up from angry customers on the book's review on amazon.com, which are then deleted by amazon. So... does that mean only the pedophile author gets the free speech right, and not those who are offended by what he has to say? After the RapeLay video game that they were selling last year (in which the protagonist stalks and RAPES a mother and her daughters), and the immoral and offensive trash they are trying to sell now (the pedophile guide and the man/boy love book, not to mention how to smuggle cocaine, grow weed, and get away with drunk driving), I am DONE with amazon. I am boycotting all of their companies, and will go directly to the retailers from now on. I'm willing to pay for shipping to avoid supporting their filth. 


Needless to say, there are thousands of people boycotting amazon.com (just in time for holiday shopping! WTG amazon!) until the company rethinks their priorities. There has been a twitterstorm over the last 2 days that has finally helped Amazon see some light. I keep hearing that Amazon has removed the pedophile how-to book, but until I've seen an official statement (apology) from Amazon, I'm not sure I'll believe that it's gone for good. I am putting my money where my big mouth is, and will be avoiding Amazon at all costs from now on, as I see now what an immoral company they truly are.  I'm sure that even if the twitterstorm had some effect on the pedophile how-to book, the man/boy love book will remain, as well as the other criminal-activity-encouraging books they sell. 


Oh, I nearly forgot to mention my new book’s subject… “Parent’s Guide : How to Kill a Pedophile and Make It Hurt Like Hell”. Find it on Amazon soon!

2 comments:

  1. All I really want to know is: What would Dave Ramsey say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Dave would say, "Save your money!"

    ReplyDelete