Thursday, January 20, 2011

funny kid!

Tate had his first day back to preschool yesterday! I NEVER expected that he'd be back to school just one week post-op, but he had been feeling great and was getting his energy back. I planned to take him in for an hour and a half or so. I knew he missed his friends (and his friends missed him!) and I thought it would be good to ease him back into the swing of things. So we went in a 9am (ok, who am I fooling? We were a few minutes late, as always!) and it took him a few minutes to step foot in the door warm up. Before long, he was building legos with his friends and having fun! I took a book with us to read to Tate's class called "My Fake Eye". The kids really seemed to enjoy it, and I think it answered most of their questions. So after reading the book, the kids had snacks, then they all made and decorated eye patches so they could be cool like Tate. :) By then, it was 10:30, and it was play time. That's the part I was nervous about because I was afraid Tate might get hurt. When I asked him if he was ready to go home, he said "You go ahead, Mommy... I want to stay here and play." I was surprised, but glad that he was happy to be back with his friends. I knew he'd be in good hands with his wonderful teachers, so I left him for the rest of the preschool day. Have I mentioned how proud of him I am? 

Since Tate had been doing better than we ever expected, we went ahead and took him back to church last night for class and preschool choir practice. He fell asleep on the way there (probably all that playing at school!), so we put his name tag sticker on the back of his coat. When he woke up a little later, I pulled the name tag off his coat and started to put it on his shirt. This was our conversation:

T: Mommy! I don't need a sticker!
Me: Yes, Tate, you need your name sticker on your shirt. 
T: Mommy! I reeeeeallly don't need a sticker.
Me: Why don't you need a sticker?
T: Because, Mommy. I was in the newspaper. They know who I am!

Boy, do I have my hands full with this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment