Tuesday, June 7, 2011

first eye adjustment, coming right up!

Tate LOVES his new eye. He has gotten used to it quicker than I ever imagined. We have only taken it out once, and it doesn't bother him at all. We are so happy with it! 


If you've seen my previous post about "The Making of Tate's Prosthetic Eye", I mentioned that we would let it "settle", then call our ocularist to have any needed adjustments made. Well, the time has finally come. The surgeon, upon follow-up of Tate receiving his new eye, recommended that we give it several weeks so we can keep any necessary adjustments to a minimum. So I called last week, and we have an appointment with our ocularist for June 21st. It'll be another all-day trip. It's over an hour away, and the appointment is expected to take at least a half-day (that's if he doesn't need to make any painting adjustments). And we can't go all the way there without making time for the nearby outlet mall... for Tate's prize, of course. :) 


So I'm including a "Before" shot. You can see that the left (prosthetic) eye is larger than the right eye. I believe that he'll be trimming down the white of the eye underneath the iris and along the outside of the left eye. I can't wait to see how it looks after the adjustment! The prosthetic eye looks very real... so much so that I find that when I'm making eye contact with Tate as I'm talking with him, I'm often looking at his prosthetic eye. I wonder if he thinks I don't bother looking at him when I'm talking to him. My prayer is that once the adjustment is made, no one will be able to tell that he has a prosthetic... although I don't believe many people realize it now, but I think many notice that something is amiss. I'm hoping the adjustment fixes that! I'll be taking my camera with me for the adjustment, so as always, I'll keep you posted! 

1 comment: