Thursday, December 23, 2010

less than a month...

The big day is less than a month away now. I called to see if we could move up the surgery because Tate has had so much more pain lately. Of course, they are booked up through February, so we're keeping our date of January 21st. We have been added to the call list though in case of cancellations. I know there are several of you praying for a cancellation - thanks for that! Seems likely this time of year, right? If we do get to move it up, it would be a scramble... that scramble that we were trying to avoid by planning it out... of getting Todd's mom down here to help with the other boys, working out our work schedules, etc to accommodate a different surgery date, but if it relieves Tate's pain sooner, it would SO be worth it. 


Tate is a tough little guy, and he is back to rarely admitting to pain. Some days are better than others, but overall, Tate's pain is showing through in his moods. He's really irritable these days, and who can blame the kid? I can be pretty irritable when I'm sick or in pain - just ask Todd. :) So I'm picking my battles. It ought to be interesting to see how my inconsistency in parenting adversely affects us down the road. Many of you know that Tate has always been stubborn... he only has a couple of things in his control, and he likes to KEEP control of those things... what he wears  (or won't is more accurate - things with collars, buttons, and sometimes, bears!), and what he eats (again, won't eat is more appropriate here too - but this list changes daily). We have gotten past some of the issues with clothing, but on the days he doesn't feel well, it comes back with a vengeance. He's the first 4 year old boy I've ever known to care about what he wears! I discovered yesterday that the reason he won't eat green beans anymore (one of his previously favorite foods) is because of a certain song about beans that my older boys taught him. I had to explain that the song isn't talking about green beans. Oh boy. Haha. And on one recent particularly pitiful day, yep, he in fact DID have pudding for breakfast. He turned down his regular favorite (Gogurt) and when I saw that sad look on his face, I blurted out "How 'bout chocolate pudding, kiddo? Would that make you feel better?" It was SO worth the little smile on his face. I may not be Mom of the Year, but if pudding for breakfast helps my little man feel better for now, then I'm ok with it.


Some days are better than others for me, too. It's been an emotional rollercoaster. I've forgotten everything from the kids' dentist appointments to birthday parties, and most days, I'm surprised that I can form a coherent sentence. I know that part of this is the chaos of the holidays mixed with stress from what is coming up next month, but I had a huge To Do list for Christmas break, and with my increasing inability to stay on-task, not much is getting done. There are several things I want to have done before Tate's surgery, because I plan nothing but lots of cuddle time with my boys for at least a week or two afterwards!


Thank you all for the prayers. I know God is hearing them all, and we can certainly feel the love. Thank you for caring about us!

No comments:

Post a Comment