Thursday, December 30, 2010

letting my secret out

Tate's surgery was originally scheduled for January 21st. We booked that date back on November 17th. It was so far away... it was like a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was far enough away to seem like maybe it would never really happen. I guess that's my secret... hoping that it would never really have to happen. This has been such an emotional rollercoaster for the last few months. After 3 years of everything going smoothly, we figured that the possibility of eventual eye removal was just something they have to tell you so they don't get sued. 


I know God will take care of us. I know people are praying for us... for peace, for comfort, for God to carry us through this. We had the absolute pleasure yesterday of meeting David and his family. They showed us that it will all be ok. Things will be normal again. A different kind of normal, but our new normal. I KNOW that with my brain. But my heart... it feels like it's breaking into a thousand pieces. I just want to make it all better. Not by having my son's eye surgically removed... I want him to keep it and still be pain-free. When I first told him a few months ago that we were going to have to have his eye taken out so it won't hurt him anymore, he said "Please, Mommy, don't let them take it out. I want to keep my eye, but I want to be able to see out of it!" That's what I want for my son. I haven't lost my mind, I know that isn't going to happen. I know that we will go through with the surgery, his pain will finally be relieved, and we'll get used to caring for him a little differently. It just SUCKS. Can I say that without worrying that people might think I'm not strong enough? I know that in the grand scheme of things, losing an eye isn't a huge deal. It's just an eye, it's only one of his eyes, his condition won't spread to other parts of his body, and it's not life-threatening. But he's my kid. And it sucks. When you're a mother, your whole world is turned upside down. As a mother, you love your children so much that sometimes it physically hurts. You are responsible for this beautiful work of art that God has given you to care for. He does not belong to you, he belongs to God. But God has entrusted you with this precious child, and you are there to love him, protect him, and raise him in a Christian home. And no matter what, you NEVER want to see him hurting. I wish this hadn't happened. But I think I know one reason why it has. It has forced me to lean on God more than I ever have in my life. I have needed God, been on my knees in His presence, talked to God, leaned on Him, collapsed into His loving arms more than ever before. I know God has more purpose in this than bringing me closer to Him, but God amazes me with the way He always gives us that bright side. When things seem like they can't get any worse, He shows us that His hand is always in it. And for that, I'll always be thankful. 


In other news, it looks as if Tate's surgery is being moved up. For those of you praying for a cancellation, THANK YOU! I got a call from the hospital this afternoon telling us to prepare for January 12th. I was crying on the phone with the receptionist who called me (they're probably getting used to that by now) but I was relieved to know that my son's pain would be eased a little sooner than we originally thought. I called Todd at work to tell him... he seemed glad to hear the news. I remember saying, "This is good, right?" He said "Yeah, of course." I asked him, "Then why am I crying?" That's when I realized what my secret was. This rollercoaster journey went from surreal to very real in a flash. Hold on tight, it's about to get crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment